Friday, April 20, 2007

540 Adventure of the Lady of the Mice

Sir Leodegrance and Sir Monroe have told us of their oath to find the murderer of Pellinore. They and other companions swore it years ago when they came across the knight’s daughters weeping. They extracted this oath from them without saying what it was they would request, but of course Leodegrance and his fellows accepted it. (You won’t find ME doing any such foolish thing!)
But they had only one clue: the murderer rode upon a golden colored horse.
No one had a clue about this for decades, though. Until everyone saw Sir Meliagrance escape his pursuers riding upon a horse of the same color. What a steed! Even bearing the fully armored knight and the kidnapped queen he left everyone behind.
After Lancelot killed the kidnapper Sir Lancrius, Monroe’s brother, questioned among Meliagrance’s knights and servants until he found out where the horse had come from. All they could tell him was that it was from four brothers who had thick northern accents.
Well, that raised suspicions that it was the Orkney brothers who’d done this foul deed. God knows they have a reason—or think they do anyway—for Sir Pellinore killed heir own father, King Lot. I myself think it unfair for them to hold such a grudge. That fight was in fair battle. But who am I to tell the sons of a king what to think? I don’t like them anyway, acting so high and mighty just because they are nephews of King Arthur. Except for Gawaine (the best knight at court) I don’t think they deserve such attitudes.
We were at Camelot and saw Sir Gawaine there. Everyone as urging Sir Leodegrance to go and ask Sir Gawaine if he knew anything of this golden colored horse. Leodegrance was hesitant, both of them being sworn brother of the Round Table. So I went to Sir Gawaine and asked. I was flattered that he seemed to know me! So I boldly asked him if he knew anything of it, he said he didn’t, and then went back to his business.
I reported it to Sir Leodegrance, who was mighty relieved. "So it wasn’t them, then," he said. And so the trail is cold after all. Sir Monroe didn’t seem so satisfied, but we haven’t seen anything of him since then anyway.
We decided to go adventuring: Sir Gerrin the Weaker, Doon of Dorset, Branwyn of Gloucester, Brevis of the Dike, and me. We headed west, and came to a tournament. It was of Gloucester against Clarence (apparently since the war was settled there is still some bad blood between them). There are certainly a lot of those these days. None of us got the prize, but we fought well enough.
Deep off-road in Escavalon we stayed at the tower of a lord of a poor realm. We learned that there was an adventure there each May 1. It seems everyone falls asleep, and the next day half heir livestock was gone. We decided to struggle to stay awake and solve this adventure. We stayed in the temple, though a couple of the pagans waited outside at one of those stone circles they think are sacred. Well, I’m usually a pretty energetic fellow, but nonetheless, I fell asleep. I only learned what happened the next day when I woke.
Sir Branwyn was the chief hero of the adventure. He told us how he and Brevis had remained awake, and first saw a small parade of white mice invade the chapel. Then came a beauiful but wicked woman. The knights confronted the Lady of the Mice, who was so wicked she dared even to invade the chapel. When they ordered her out she snapped her fingers and two spriggans, disguised as mice, grew large, right up to the rafters. Of course the knights fought, and Brvis was nearly killed. But Sir Branwyn fought on. The monsters diminished with each wound, and then, to forever stop her depredations, the good knight even slew her. Chopped her right in half. No one took the livestock that night! I am sure the curse is broken. I thought surely she would have murdered us after hearing the tale.
We returned home after that, and I have spent the winter in Sarum since my lady, the countess, had consigned me to adventure. I still miss my dear, dear wife and mourn my son grievously. I did get word from Sir Evan, who was passing through, that my other children are doing well in Marlborough, though they miss their Daddy. I will try to pass through the county next adventure to see them.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?