Monday, December 19, 2005

506

Sir Mortimer writes


My dearest--
I may well beat this letter home. Have you heard? The forces of little Count Chuckie have successfully defeated King Ale! And that wretched scoundrel Ulfius has been captured and is being held for ransom. Heh. I hope he enjoys hospitality equal to that he has shown me.
Wait for me at Durnford, where the gardens and orchards will be in bloom.
--Sir Mortimer

It was a most lovely reunion with my dearest.

Well, well, well! Sir Belinger, whom I last saw slumped over his horse on the field of my capture, is the knight responsible for subduing Ulfius. Well done, sir, well done! And as I sat at the high table in Cirencester, I heard other marvels as well. The same Sir Belinger is the long-lost son of the Countess of Rhyddchan. Blood will tell. The Countess has stepped aside so that her most worthy son may be the Count and defend the lands against the Saxon scourge.
And the Countess of Salisbury has appointed me as Marshall now that our doughty Sir Ebble is dead. Sigh. I would he were Marshall still. He was a good man.

Our lands were quite ravaged by that marauder, Ulfius. The peasants had a difficult time making their harvests, so it's fortunate that there was plenty of spoils from Silchester's lands. My dear Ysabet is looking quite sharp these days. But the raiding did take its toll on us as well; our little son perished.

With some misgivings, I and many others marched with King Nanteliod on the Angles, currently holed up in London. Our siege was unsuccessful, and we departed for our manors for the winter.

Comments: Post a Comment



<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?